Sunday, July 19, 2015

Morning Walk and Devotion

Say "Good Morning, Lord" with a walk!
There's a saying (and I don't know who came up with it, but whoever it was, you are truly cool!) that if you do something for 30 days, it becomes a habit. This applies to any GOOD habit you would like to make a part of your life.

I'm happy to say that this has been true for me. Earlier this year, I blogged about starting a yoga practice, which has now become a part of my regular routine. Since I also love walking, I began alternating yoga with walking: One morning, I get up early, get my running shoes on, and hit the pavement; the next morning, I get up, put on stretchy pants and head into my office/yoga studio for a half hour or so of my practice. A friend of mine who is a nutritionist loved it when I told her that, and it sounds like she wants to incorporate that idea, of alternating!

For me, music usually plays a role in either activity. Either I take my Ipad Mini along and play yoga/spa music on Pandora or on YouTube, or I tuck my MP3 player into my pocket and listen to music through headphones as I walk.

Except for the past few weeks, I've left the music home and instead have begun to pray throughout my morning walks. Silently--because no one needs to hear me but the Lord. During the walk, I praise Him, pray for family members, for special needs, for my husband's ministry and mine, for the Lord to bless the day with opportunities to share Him with others.

I'm not sure if I've been doing it for 30 days or more yet, but I look forward to those alternate mornings when I invite Jesus to join me. Sometimes I do bring my headphones, and my devotion takes the form of inwardly singing songs of praise to Him, simply being with Him. His holy and sweet presence has elevated walking for me; it is more than an exercise. Rather than face the end of the day, thinking I "couldn't find time" to pray, I instead had the opportunity to spend time with my precious Heavenly Father as the sun was coming up over the horizon.

That's more than bodily exercise. It sort of brings new meaning to the term "walk with the Lord."

I know the Lord looks forward to our walks, too. It sets the pace for the rest of the day. The physical activity strengthens the heart; the spiritual activity prepares it for the day ahead.

A morning walk & devotion. Try it for 30 days...or more!