Monday, August 20, 2012

Keeping Fit, Even With Foot Pain

Soooo I have something called "capsulitis." Here's a little information on what it is, exactly. Initially, that was upsetting to me because it's seriously curtailed the amount of walking I can do. My uncle, who I always called "Padrinito" ("little godfather," used affectionately), was an avid walker who instilled that same love of walking in me. I've walked both short and long distances since the age of 12 or so. For me, walking isn't just a form of exercise; it's something both spiritual and creative. I've chatted with God while walking, as well as worked out creative problems in stories while strolling briskly. Later on in life, I fell in love with walking's intense cousin, hiking. Hiking is now totally off limits (because of the inclines adding more pressure to your foot) and walking itself has to be seriously toned down until this heals.

Luckily, in the meantime, I saved up for this little cutie! The doctor said bike riding would put less pressure on my foot, so I took him right up on his advice. Here's my new Huffy cruiser, which is real old school, like me. :D The design is Panama Jack, and it's got a cup holder and a small leather basket and a rear rack. Yesterday it joined me out on the greenway, giving me just as good--or even better--of a workout as walking! I also got lots of compliments on it, too, both on the greenway and Facebook. Hey, what can I say? She's a beauty!

One thing: I need to learn to pace myself. It's hard because riding a bike, even for adults, is great fun, but I'm not 17 anymore. Regardless, it made for an excellent way to speed up my heartbeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment