Monday, May 25, 2009

Website vs. Blog


Before I begin, I want to take the time to send out a shout of thanks to the wonderful heroes and heroines, the men and women in the United States Armed Forces, and to revere those who gave the supreme sacrifice in their service on this Memorial Day. The American soldier will always be, first and foremost, the ORIGINAL American Idol!

And now on to the subject of this looooooooooong overdue entry...


I'm losing my Geocities website. :( Yeah, yeah, I know--mostly everybody else who writes professionally has their own cool site with their name in the URL and their own little dot-com. Me, I had a Geocities. What can I say? It was free *and* it was fun and creative, being my own webmistress.

But now my website will be going away when Geocities goes away. What do I do now? Get another website? Do I need a website? From my searching around on Google, I'm finding there's a whole debate on the website versus blog thingy. And from visiting this site (which I'm happy to be listed on), it looks like authors are making their blogs lively, warm places to visit, maybe even more so than a slick website.
Not to mention MySpace. That, I DO update pretty regularly. Gotta love a site where you can add a song, pictures galore, and connect with readers, other writers, friends, coworkers, relatives, pretty much everybody on the planet! Ditto for Facebook, though I find MySpace easier to use and more versatile. And Twitter. (Haven't figured that one out yet. Maybe some Tweeters can fill me in???)
So for now, I think I'll hold off on my website. But I'm going to be better about updating this blog.
But many thanks to you, Geocities. You were fun to create & update with. And I really did learn a lot from you.
Next up: News on my upcoming book, FASCINATION, which will be out in July!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you're losing Geocities.

    I'm cutting my full-blown website lose at the end of the year and going with a blog. I can update it more frequently and for free.

    Also, I think it's more fun for readers.

    ReplyDelete